Thursday, December 12, 2013

Some Tips for Improving Your Writing


At one of my recent presentations about online marketing, someone in the audience asked for some advice on improving her writing. Here are some tips I passed along:

* First, I complimented the person who asked the question on being able to make that assessment of herself. And I also congratulated her on her desire to do something about it. There are far too many people who delude themselves otherwise.

* My foremost bit of advice is the same that we tell our kids: Read. Read anything you want . . . just READ. There is a huge correlation between voracious readers and good writers. And it's never too late to start.

* Take advantage of today's technologies and have a way to start a scratch document whenever and wherever the Muse strikes you. I personally like the cloud note application, Evernote. I write a sales and marketing column for a media industry association, and whenever an idea or a paragraph comes into my head, I can access Evernote on any of my devices.

* When you get to the point of writing that first draft, try to do it during a time and at a place where you are not feeling pressured. I realize that office settings and deadlines may limit your ability to control this, but be creative. Some suggestions that work for me: Write during the noon hour when others are out of the office at lunch and the phone is less likely to ring. If need be, find a space where you can get some privacy, like an unoccupied conference room. If the document is large, such as a proposal, see if you can telecommute and write from home for awhile before heading into the office

* When writing, err on the side of using more paragraphs, at least during the first draft. You can always consolidate them later if needed. You will find that this helps keep you laser-focused on what you are trying to say. This is a good tip to keep in mind when you are writing for the web as well. Studies have shown that readers on the web tend to click away when they see large blocks of text.

* Take advantage of the capabilities of the modern-day word processor and edit, edit, edit.  True geniuses might be able to write masterpieces in one take, but the rest of us mere mortals are served well when we take the time to edit carefully. Accept this concept. It's ok.

* Make a game of editing. Since the goal is to use as few words as possible, find some clever way to reward yourself for every word you extract. (For me, when I'm working on one of my columns, every fifty words I cut out entitles me to buy another song on iTunes.)

* Intersperse your writing and editing with breaks. Fresh eyes will help you catch errors or awkward phrasing. I like to put drafts away for overnight if possible. If the situation won't allow for that (like when writing emails), then I get up for a few minutes or move on to something else for awhile before returning to the piece.

* When you think it's all ready, read your final draft out loud one last time. Yes, out loud (quietly if in the presence of others). The point is to move your lips. If you stumble, it's usually a sign that a phrase or sentence is awkwardly worded. Fix it.

* A note about presentation. Ok, I am not rabid about this, but I urge folks to write using Arial or Helvetica or some similar font. Here's my hypothesis on this: If you think of black text as being resistance to eye flow, then a non-serif type allows for faster reading.

* Finally, you should have in your library of reference books, "On Writing Well - The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction," by William Zinsser. It's available on Amazon for less than $10. Most of what I have written above stems from his insights and tips. And he has plenty more to share.

There's a prize at the end of all this . . . It's called, FUN. Yes, once you lose the fear and get your writing on track, you start enjoying it. And don't think your readers won't start noticing that. It won't be long before you too earn the reputation of being a good writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment