Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Stuart Keene - confidently independent

Lauren Casteel, Stuart Keene, David Ryan, Rob Piekarski, Hank Troy
pictured above at KRMA-TV, Denver 50th Anniv. celebration Oct, 2007

I opened my e-mail this past Saturday and was stunned to read a note from Rob Piekarski that Stuart Keene had died from a fall the day before while working on a motocross shoot.  (Denver Post:  http://tinyurl.com/269tgth)


Stuart was a member of our Community and Cultural Affairs Unit at the station back in the early 80's.  The team was headed up by our inspirational executive producer, the late Kaye Lavine. http://tinyurl.com/5uy8vb

Stuart joined the team in our second season, and he immediately fit in with skill and dedication, all while maintaining his unique persona. 

At first meeting, Stuart appeared the quintessential Coloradoan with his trim fit physique, curly golden hair . . .  a vegetarian and an outdoor sportsman -- particularly as an avid bicyclist.  Stuart was actively involved over the years in many bicycle races, either as a media relations staff person or as part of a television production crew.

Laid-back?  Perhaps. Yet I remember my girlfriend at the time once kidding-ly called him, "Stu-ie."  He was not amused.  And that square jaw of his was representative of the resolute determination and indefatigable energy within.  (And man, did we need it back in those early career days what with the production schedule we were on.)

Stuart had a way of carrying himself with confidence and independence.  He took pride in the latter, and we all learned to respect that.  We knew that we could rely completely on Stuart, even if the road he took us on was different from what we expected.  He was one of us, and we fully embraced his independent spirit, and the television programs we put out back then certainly benefited from that.

Stuart also listened intently.  That's something I respect more and more as I have grown older.  I think I may have at times back then regarded that to be a somewhat affected trait of his.  Now I realize it was a sign of Stuart's maturity and intelligence.  He seemed to always have a zeal to learn something new.

When I went back out to Denver in 2007 for the station's 50th anniversary, it had been over 20 years since I had seen most everyone, Stuart included.  He looked great and had the same spirit.  Despite the decimation of the professional production ranks nationwide that has occurred over the years as a result of the "democratization of the media," Stuart was still able to make it work for him.  I was impressed. 

We shared some great laughs.

Rob Piekarski of our team (who is now working as a producer in the Distance Learning Dept. with the Denver Public Schools) wrote that he and Stuart had just recently gone to Las Vegas for the NAB show.

I sigh and wince at the horrible accident that took Stuart's life.  The details will be examined and further information revealed, I am sure. 

In the meantime, my sincerest condolences to his family and inner circle of friends and contacts.

As a Unitarian, aka agnostic, I do not hold any one firm belief as to what happens after death.  But in my mind, I see Stuart pedaling his bike with a helmet camera attached, sending back great pictures. 

Ride on, Stuart. Ride on.

No comments:

Post a Comment